Cry out to God. With joy?

What a blessing to find a community of Catholic women, interested in sharing faith and life in such a beautiful and public way.

This morning at Mass, I was moved almost to tear at the Psalm. This rarely happens to me. I am not one prone to public emotion, but there you have it. I am pregnant, and perhaps more hormonal than usual. What was the Psalm that moved me to tears?

Responsorial Psalm:
R. Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
Shout joyfully to God, all the earth,
sing praise to the glory of his name;
proclaim his glorious praise.
Say to God, “How tremendous are your deeds!”  (R,)
...
Hear now, all you who fear God, while I declare
what he has done for me.
Blessed be God who refused me not
my prayer or his kindness!(R.)
It has not been an easy few days for me.  I have been facing family troubles, lack of sleep, a new work schedule for hubby, and pregnancy worries.  Without going into details, suffice it to say that I am emotional and exhausted.  I do not feel like crying out to God with joy.  Still, I felt like this psalm was directed at me.  You know how sometimes God whispers quietly to our hearts, and we hear and obey?  This was not like that at all.  It was the reading at Mass.  The responsorial Psalm, no less.  I had to speak the very words that I am sure God wanted me to hear.  

I had been blogging, recently, about finding joy in suffering.  Then, for a week, I had nothing to say.  For a week, I did not think about joy.  I thought about getting through each day without losing my temper.  

Sometimes, it is all we can do to get through our days.  We do our best to avoid sin, knowing we will fail.  But sometimes it is nice to be reminded that we are supposed to aim higher.  I can cry out to God.  I cry out to Him all the time.  "God!  I need your help!"  With joy?  Sometimes.  I rejoice in thunderstorms and unborn-baby kicks.  I rejoice in days off and parties.  I rejoice in giggles from my daughter and the blessed silence of naptime.
Lord, Help me to see your wondrous love when I am struggling.  Help me to recognize your face amid my chaos.  Give me the heart to rejoice with all the Earth, and cry out praises to Your name.  Amen.

Comments

  1. This post pretty well sums up how things have been for me sometimes too.We need to remember it is our suffering that makes our joy seem so good and God is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. :-) It is good to share our lows as well as our highs and to find God in both places, the mountain tops and the ocean depths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective