An Unexpected Voice on NPR

Somehow my opinion on what it means to be Catholic in 2014 ended up as part of a round table discussion on NPR.

It began when I logged into my Facebook account last week to post photos of Sarah’s birthday party, and I saw that I had a new message waiting for me; it was from my sister-in-law, Katy, who lives in Colorado with her husband and two boys.  It was simply an invitation to send your opinions, views, and convictions to an NPR email address, and I shrugged to myself, thinking, “What the heck?  I’ll give it a shot; no harm in trying.”  So I emailed them with only two short paragraphs; it took me literally two minutes, and the thought of satisfaction that I had reached out was enough for me.

That evening I had a phone appointment with my life coach, Eileen.  I was explaining how I am feeling this restlessness, this call within my heart – a burning – that God is beckoning me to do more, but I was unsure of what that entailed.  Eileen told me while I was speaking, she had an image of me standing in front of a group of people, an audience, and though perplexed, I recalled a similar image given to me during prayer only days before our conversation.  Like most mystical experiences, I tend to dismiss them only as a point of caution so that, if its origin is from me or from the enemy, I have confidence I haven’t given it much credence.  But when she told me this, I had goosebumps, because I had literally told no one – not even Ben – that I saw the same image.  It just doesn’t make sense to me at this point in my life, because, well, what would I talk about?

Read more and listen to the NPR podcast here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary