How To Be Helpful, In Big Ways & Small


Are you like me, wishing that you could make a big difference in the world in some way? Do you wish, like I do, that you could lend a hand to help to alleviate the suffering of the migrants in Europe? Or to help stop abortion, genocide, and suffering of all kinds? It can be a helpless feeling of overwhelming frustration to want so badly to help to end the suffering and pain and desperation around the world when we’re tethered to our life, to our family, and to our responsibilities. 

My own frustration at my own helplessness was eased significantly this morning. Last Christmas, a friend gifted me with a quote-a-day calendar, and I've really enjoyed over the months reading its daily doses of inspiration. Today’s quote really struck a chord for me, and helped me to understand that perhaps I'm thinking much too grandly about my role in the world. I was immediately comforted to realize that indeed I CAN make a difference. I may not be able to help in the big important ways that I wish I could, but I can make a difference in very small, but no less important ways, too. I realized, also, that making a difference does not have to mean that I need to leave my family, my country, my state, my city, my home, or even my desk!  

I can make a difference in someone's day by paying close attention when they are speaking to me, instead of multi-tasking. I can be kind and allow another commuter to cut in front of me in traffic when they need to, instead of speeding up. I can hold back the sigh of exasperation when the person in front of me in line at the market pulls out their checkbook, and give a smile, instead, when they glance apologetically at the line of people behind them. I can relax and enjoy my family’s company at the supper table, instead of immediately rushing to do the dishes once everyone has finished eating. I can bring a co-worker a favorite treat or flowers when I can see that they're feeling stressed and overworked. I can respond kindly to that passive-aggressive email, instead of in the way I really want to. I can run an errand for an elderly neighbor. I can pray.

We don’t need to look for big ways to make a difference. Even very small opportunities surround us every minute of every day to make a big impact in ours and others' lives.  

How can you make a small but important difference in your own life and in the life of those around you today?  

Wishing you and yours a wonderful day!
Sabrina 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary