Your Opinions, and I know You have them, On the Death Penalty

I’m really torn on this, and I would like to know how you feel. When it comes to the death penalty, I tend to lean in favor of it for some crimes. However, if I were on a jury, I’m not sure I could vote in favor of giving the death penalty, but if a member of my family were murdered, I think I would be in favor of the death penalty as a means of punishment.


Pope Francis, on his recent visit to the United States, encouraged us, as a country, to get rid of the death penalty. He even wrote a letter to the state of Georgia asking for mercy in the case of Kelly Kissander, who had been on death row for 18 years and was finally executed last night. This case is another reason why I am torn. 

Read More at Prayerfully Yours

Comments

  1. I believe Scripture supports the use of the death penalty (e.g. Romans 13).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read Gen.9:5-6 and Romans 13:4. This new position against the death penalty by the last three Popes is non infallible. Popes cannot override scripture. St. John Paul II did no research on data worldwide. After his day the UN gave world murder rates. Catholic non death penalty northern Latin America including Brazil and Mexico ( the two largest Catholic countries ) is the worst murderous area of the globe...Africa with few death penalties is second worst. The safest area on earth is largely non Christian
    east Asia. These last three Popes only looked at Europe which is safe due to being over whelmingly middle class...with or without a death penalty. But wherever there is large poor populations, the death penalty is pro life and no death penalty is anti life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary