The Thing About Prayer


A few months back, I wrote a post entitled True Belief and True Repentance.  In it, I argued that the holy life must be guarded by the graces of faith and confession.

Today I'm going back to the topic of faith, because I think it is so closely tied to this question.  Do we trust blindly?  How do we find direction, what does faith have anything to do with it? It's a heavy one. And so, I want to tag on another essentialism for the life of true faith. And that, friends, would be the importance of prayer.

Can we ever stop praying?

Let me make a caveat. It is hard to write about stuff like this. What if I put all of these feelings about prayer out there, only to get disappointed or even...gasp.... hurt by the response? Or, on another hand, what if I stay silent? Silence is-unfortunately- almost always the thing to do and the automatic response I see among friends and colleagues on the internet and on places like Facebook and Twitter. It feels awkward at best to broach the subject. 

But that brings me to an important question.... should we speak? Should we pray? And while we're at it, what is meant by prayer, anyway? And what's the difference between talking about the "prayer life" as a Catholic and "prayer life" as a non-Catholic?

Speaking with a group of IRL friends just two days before I had Annabel, we talked a little bit about prayer... read the rest at Picture a Skyline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary