Keeping God's Name Hallowed

The other day I began watching a DVD from the library, and it was so laced with profanity that I stopped it. People must not be aware of the second commandment anymore: "You shall not  make wrongful use of the name of the Lord Your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name." (Exodus 20:7) That second part is a pretty strong warning. Why is misusing God's name so terrible that it is listed among the big ten? It hinges on the fact that God is the almighty, all-holy One who is worthy of awe and reverence. A name is equivalent to a person and something precious to us. Abusing a person's name is a major insult. I remember my anger and hurt in the third grade when a mean little boy called me Kathleen Garbage (instead of Glavich). I wonder how angry God gets when his holy name is thrown around flippantly or used as an expletive to show surprise or anger. Click to continue

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective