The Merits of Motherhood

The other day, as I was hovering over the cold tiles of the bathroom floor, blowing disorderly strands of hair out of my face, in order to properly clean the pee off the bathroom floor, my two-year-old snuck up behind me. Placing his small childish hand on my shoulder, he looked at my work, and like a tiny foreman, he proclaimed boldly, “Great job Mommy! I’m so proud of you.”
Well, if that’s all it takes…!
As I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the shiny pee-covered tile (I know, so poetic), I was transported to prior days. I remembered the days when I would get out of bed and choose one of my “professional” outfits, before coordinating hair and earrings. Lets just face it, I’m always running late (even in my flashbacks), so makeup usually happened somewhere between the metro and work.
Work! So much of who we are in this society is what we do. Think about any new conversation you have with someone. Shortly after your name, comes what you do. And what you do is not just a title, but rather a list of tasks and qualifications. It’s almost as if we are walking resumes, and must prove our worth to the person questioning (and ourselves), over and over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary