The Sin We Don't Like to Admit

The Sin I Hate to Admit to is Envy

A few years ago I was sitting in a conference hall awaiting the next speaker.  It was Jeff Cavins and he was coming up to speak about envy.  I actually contemplated going to do something else for that hour because although I knew I had an occasional issue with jealousy, I was all set in the envy arena. OH my, was I wrong!!  Probably why the Spirit sat me mid-row that day; and as I looked down the row and realized how many people I'd have to vault and navigate to leave, I decided to leave my bottom planted and listen.





The First Lesson

Envy is a much more sinister emotion than jealousy.  It is not wanting us both to have the promotion, healthy body or fancy car - it is an actual sadness that the other does and you do not.  For me, there is a feeling of defeat especially if it is an idea I have contemplated but never acted on.  Perhaps my envy is also mixed in with my personal disappointment that I'd allowed procrastination or doubt keep me from following through again; but still I should not be so sad that another is being blessed!

This is one of the best explanations of envy I have found, written by Fall River Diocesan priest, Fr. Thomas Kocik, as part of an article called, The Seven Deadly Sins — and their Remedies,in which he says, "Envy poisons our whole being. Because Cain was envious of his brother Abel, he “was very angry, and his countenance fell” (Gen 4:5). Because the sons of Jacob envied their brother Joseph, “they hated him, and could not speak peaceably to him” (Gen 37:4). Because Saul was envious of David, he “eyed David from that day on” (1 Sam 18:9). “Jealousy and anger shorten life, and anxiety brings on old age too soon” (Sir 30:24)."

My Personal Remedies for Envy (and many other things)!

These are the tools I utilize (daily) to wage war against them - so that I can remain focused on doing the "Will of the One who sent me," (John 6:38), and not paralyzed by my own insecurity.

  1. Prayer - I open up dialog with God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So I may open myself to hear and respond to God's Will for me. I also seek intercession and guidance from Our Blessed Mother and the Saints.  We are the Body of Christ not the Eye or Hand of Christ. We are many parts with one purpose but if we were all called to the same purpose there would be many important things left undone.


All Rights Reserved, Allison Gingras 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective