The Priest, Our Lady and Catholic Women (Mothers)

This is a photo of my late mother, Audrey, and my sister on our last visit to Lourdes. When my mother died (April 10, 2010), after the initial shock and a brief period of awful grief, I received a wonderful grace which meant that the worst aspects of grief were simply overtaken by immense gratitude and a great sense of peace. It is not just an emotional thing - it has lasted until now and has brought with it a deeper appreciation of the gift of motherhood - a gift of huge and unique importance for the world and the Church.


One of the touching things that brought this home was a card we found in my mother's prayer books which has a picture of the Visitation on one side and a special request to Our Lady to look after a mother's children on the other. In that prayer there is a space where a mother might write the names of her children. Of course, there we are, the three of us. Two other things happened which were obviously a preparation for her death. On my last anniversary of ordination before her death, my mother insisted that I buy myself a new Mass vestment. I had just recently begun to celebrate the EF (Latin Rite) and wanted a Lady vestment for myself, that I might take with me wherever I went. Mum insisted that I get a good one. I tried to limit the expense and she was disappointed that I had not spent more! I asked myself then why she was doing this. Another occasion was the visit of the Relics of St. Therese. My mother had a great devotion to this saint, but because of her inability to get about (severe arthritis) she though she would never get to the Cathedral to visit the relics. One day when I was praying before the Blessed Sacrament I had a VERY strong impression that St. Therese was telling me to take my mother to the Cathedral. Things being what they were, with crowds etc, it seemed that the best thing to do was to go early. I borrowed a wheelchair and went to collect Mum around 6.30 in the morning. This was the final day of the relics' visit and we were two of the first people there that morning. We stayed for the 10.00 Mass and for the removal of the relics (to go elsewhere). As the relics came out of the Cathedral and were surrounded by the bishop and other significant people, including some Carmelite sisters, I pushed my mother back across the road so she could say "goodbye". It was strange and wonderful later, looking at photos of this event on the internet and seeing my mother's head sticking out from behind the others as the relics were loaded onto a special hearse. On that day mum showed no sign of strain or pain.


When my mother was near death I was taking a few days rest at Pantasaph Friary, North Wales. I had to leave quickly after the phone call, but I later went back, and the retreat master, Fr. Keith asked me, "If you were going to give a retreat now, what would it be on?" Without much thought I said, "Mary and the Gift of Motherhood" - "OK" he said, "Let's do it"


So, I am giving this retreat at the Friary on 28th, 29th, 30th October 2011. Anyone interested can book now on the Friary website or contact me.


Obviously I am reading in preparation for this retreat, and since I will be speaking about women I am reading two books by Catholic women - The Authentic Catholic Woman by Genevieve Kineke and Mothering by Anna Melchior. I am also reading new books about Our Lady.


Reflecting on some of this this morning I was reminded again of just how important women have been to me in my priestly life. I KNOW I would not be a priest unless it was through Our Lady's prayers, and I have often thought how women especially have come to my aid when I needed help. There is a long story here which I would be happy to share if you want me to, but for now, here is one priest who thanks God for good Catholic (and non-catholic!) women and for the gifts that God has given them in the service of truth and love.

Comments

  1. Father John, thank you for this post. I was studying in the USA as a young priest when I got news at breakfast of my mother's death in her sleep. She was 55. Like you, after th initial shock I experienced the kind of peace you write about, a conviction that my mother had fulfilled her mission.

    I also saw many signs of what I have come to call the 'thoughtfulness' of God. such as an unexpected Christmas at home a few months before she died. There were many other little things that came together and I've seen the same in the lives of others.

    God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr John, .. a very moving & inspiring post. Do you know the retreat you mention could almost be made for the ACWB! Can you post more details on this blog..& I urge all our readers particularly the British (might be too difficult for our overseas readers) to try & make the retreat & advertise it. I have often stayed in Holywell..St Winefride's Guest House (the Brigittines) & have visited nearby Pantasaph which is very beautiful...am v interested! Thankyou Fr for this lovely post ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping that Genevieve Kineke would post for us..I would be v grateful if you would post about her book..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very touching post. Thank you for sharing that Father. We are only 15mls from Pantasaph and call in regularly. It's a a very spiritual place.
    I very much look forward to your retreat in October.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too would love to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! I'm going to see if I could get away for that.
    Thank you Fr John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very moving post Father,thankyou. A book I would recommend for priests and lay folk regarding mothers is "Anticipate every Goodbye by Jean Sullivan, the french novelist priest. I lent my copy to someone but would love to re-read it. I do like the way the french write mindyou, so I may be biased. Here are some of the reviews:

    Anticipate Every Goodbye

    by Jean Sulivan

    translated by Eamon Maher

    Jean Sulivan, who won the Grand Prix Catholique de Littérature for his novel THE SEA REMAINS, won the Prix des écrivains de l’Ouest for ANTICIPATE EVERY GOODBYE, a memoir of his peasant childhood in Brittany and the death of his mother after he had moved to Paris to write full-time. By turns lyrical, humorous, and intensely dramatic, the book centers on the relationship between a pious mother and her intellectual priest-writer-son. She had imparted a deep but simple faith to her first-born; now he watches in anguish as she lies helplessly in bed, suffering intensely, doubting her previous certainties, and beginning her journal toward death on a naked cross.

    “ANTICIPATE EVERY GOODBYE joins some of the classic studies of death and dying. It reaches beyond the limits of a personal memoir to the depths of a parable about faith in the 20th century.”-- PATRICK O’BRIEN, playwright, The Irish Catholic

    “This book will resonate with many a contemporary questioner. Unlike the priest of his school days who offered sweet almonds for every correct catechism response, Sulivan avoids easy-to-swallow answers.” --DOCTRINE AND LIFE

    “In this moving yet unsentimental memoir, Sulivan remembers the formative influence of his mother and friend, Angela. Her vital, earthy faith humbles and enlivens her son’s intellectualism; her spiritual desolation in the face of death--which recalls that of Therese of Lisieux--points him toward plenitude.”--PAUL J. CONTINO, Pepperdine University

    “I wept while reading the last few pages. The book is an astonishing testament of love and a witness to what Christianity is about--not pomp and circumstances, but that fire which seems absent from the church today. --CATHERINE DE VINCK, poet, author of a dozen books of poetry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Shadowlands - another book for me to read! But I am drawn to it by the comments of the last review. Each day, each moment, we are moving towards something far greater, but that movement involves the kind of letting go that can only be accepted and lived, and it is in the living of it that we find our true selves and God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective