Our Common Language (OGW, 051)


As I was writing out my Christmas cards this year, I was saddened by some of the people that are no longer with us.

Flipping through the pages I see the address of an old friend from high school who died this year.  Her name has been in my address book for years, but she passed away without our ever being able to reconnect.

The names and addresses of beloved family members that I hold close to my heart, including special aunts and uncles, as well as long ago neighbors, bring back sacred memories as I turn each page.

While I keep current the addresses of several people on my phone today, our address book reads like a history book.  It speaks of moves, deaths and friends that have somehow slipped away.

Why is it that we stay close with some people, but others have disappeared from our lives?  Is it simply a matter of losing touch, or do we grow apart as we grow up, and our life—and interests—change?

This makes me think of a situation recently where I was talking with someone who was not steeped in faith-related topics.  I felt limited in being able to converse with them because we didn’t share that common body of interest in religion or a familiar language of faith.

Like scientists and mathematicians who share a language which connects them, the same is true in religious circles as well.  Since I connect with so many of my friends and acquaintances through this common language of faith, when it is missing, it is noticeable.

It’s good to be aware of this so that words can be clarified.  Our inclination should not be to avoid challenging conversations, but to find ways to communicate more effectively with one another.

In today’s Opening God’s Word, we don’t have to work very hard at all to recognize a common theme that binds us all together.  I invite you to turn to the First Letter of John Chapter 4 as you listen to my podcast so that you, too, will discover the one unifying language God offers us.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net

Comments

  1. DR WILLIAMS CURED 7 YEARS AUTISM
    I am sharing this testimony for my daughter who suffered autism for 7 years. I am doing this, because I was her mother and caregiver  during her dark days and am very happy to share it so that others can be helped through  DR WILLIAMS HERBAL MEDICINE. It was a tough a battle for her; I was not actually the one who hard autism, but bearing the burden makes me understand what parents whose children and love with autism go through.
    Lesia now 19 and was diagnosed with autism at the age of twelve, for seven years, she fought against her diagnosis. I must admit it was never easy for us as a family; we had to constantly watch her, and answer questions that we couldn’t explain. On several occasions, she asked if she will ever stop having speech delay and get well like her school mates and be the best swimmer she dreamt of becoming. She was a very happy child; and had a ‘normal’ childhood and there was no suggestion that she would later on develop autism. 
    She refused to accept defeat and fought autism. She religiously kept to her medications in spite of their side effects. We all wanted a cure, so that she can chase her dream and live a normal life like every other child. But the more she takes these medications, the more her school grade drop. She couldn’t concentrate and we noticed that her memory was being severely adversely affected. Each time we went back to the hospital, her medicines were changed to a different one. Seems like, each change of drug brings about change in side effects. After about 6 years on   Abilify ,  Geodon  , and other medicines, it seemed the autism started to increase in frequency. I had to make effort to reduce her medicines with plans to eventually stop it all. We found an alternative treatment in homeopathy, which was better than her English drugs. Gradually, I reduced her drugs, and her autism were no longer as frequent as it was as when she was on conventional drugs.
    With our little breakthrough with homeopathy treatment, we made further search for natural cure. Fortunately we saw testimonies about herbal medicines which cure autism. We saw a lot of claims though, contacted them and didn’t get a useful reply. Lucky for us, we finally got a reply from Doctor Williams, he directed us to his blog where we saw a lot of information about his herbal medicine . Without further delay I made a purchase for her, I switched her over to it. We had great breakthrough, that in 3 weeks, her autism reduced. After 1 months as Doctor Williams promised , all autism symptoms stopped. It was like a miracle for us. since all this days now Lesia became autism free. Her story is quite lengthy, I hope it also help someone out there.for more information you can email Dr Williams on drwilliams098675@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a thought ... this is a Catholic Blog for Catholic bloggers. Have you noticed that very rarely do we "connect" by commenting on each others' posts? And we are meant to have a lot in common!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective