Finding Peace in this "Tired Old World"


Leadership.  It is so important to get it right.  When it isn’t done well, it can be so harmful to everyone involved.

It has been on my mind this week because we have been suffering from poor leadership in this country.  And while it might be convenient to stop there, it would not be fair to not hold ourselves accountable as well.

The reckless behavior evidenced by our cultural activity and attitude moves me beyond belief, for even if our leader doesn’t do what is right, that shouldn’t stop us from doing it.

It is natural to be upset at the sight of what is happening, because if it doesn’t move us, there is something wrong with us.

I am reminded of the song “Tired Old World” by Ann Reed which starts out:

If my heart
Fails to break
At the sight of incredible pain
Then this tired old world
This crazy time
Is havin' it's way

When I get to feeling frustrated, there is simply nothing that calms me down and redirects me like scripture.  In today’s reading from the Gospel of John (20:24) the resurrected Jesus returns to the upper room where the disciples have been held up out of fear.

Jesus says to them, “Peace be with you” as he breathes the Holy Spirit on them.

A week later, when he returns and Thomas is with them (today is his feast day), Jesus says once again, “Peace be with you.”

During the Catholic Mass, the Sign of Peace offers once again the very words of Jesus.

When I get all stirred up about what is going on in the world, I just sit with scripture and let it sink in.  I take to heart the words of Jesus “Peace be with you” and am reminded that these words are not a nice suggestion, but an action.  Jesus gives us his peace.

Journeying through scripture, seeking solace in the midst of this crisis, I find more relief as I turn to the Gospel of Matthew (6:28) which is the passage titled Dependence on God.  This is the one where we are reminded not to worry about our life.

What I settled in on this morning was the reality that birds do not have to sow or reap.  As I sat on our deck watching our yard birds poke at the ground to find food, this passage stood out as it announced, “they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them.”

As it continued, it reminded me that God will provide “much more for us”.  There is no need for us to worry, because our Heavenly Father knows what we need.

You see, if you put all of this together, it relaxes the mind and animates the spirit so that in faith, our trust and hope in God is rediscovered and increased, bringing peace to our very core.

In the end, the words of Jesus find a home in our chaotic world.

Be smart this Fourth of July and while you are celebrating our country’s freedom, celebrate the One from whom all freedom and joy comes.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net (podcasts)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective