Where do you Find Beauty?


In the world of academia, philosophers, it seems to me, talk a great deal, and listening to their discussions can increase the potential to develop one’s mental capacity—or reduce it to mush.

I saw a discussion online about beauty.  The professors in the conversation put forth long strings of sentences that were hard to follow.  They made a lot of sense, but they were quite difficult to comprehend, even when I listened carefully.

When I was in grad school, theology forced my brain to think hard as well, but in a different way.  I had to stretch beyond my perceived aptitude.  Sort of like the idea of infinity in geometry -- “Look there, beyond what you can see!”

I like to challenge my brain and listening to academics requires me to have a lot of concentration.

Like the play Hamilton that is out now.

I sat down to watch it with one of our daughters and I found it very intriguing, but tiring.  I found the captions distracting and between them and the fast-paced song dialogue, my brain shut down WAY before it was over.

Our daughter, on the other hand, loved it to the point that some of the songs were stuck in her head.  How you can get songs stuck in your head whose lyrics are so complicated, is beyond me.

But she did acknowledge that when she watched it a second time without the captions, it was a better experience, so I figure I will try that, because it was entertaining.  I was really fascinated with the performance.  How could anyone write and sing such complicated lyrics?

Anyway, the philosophers I watched online the other day had an in-depth conversation about asceticism and beauty.  Don’t ask me to explain it to you, except that they were talking about the intrinsic value of beauty and the impact it has on the observer.  It can elicit sentimentality, but it also has an even greater power within it to reflect beauty and truth.  That was the commentary I found most interesting.

That’s about as much as I can describe of their conversation since they were using those stringy sentences, except to say that we need greater awareness of the beauty around us.  When we experience beauty, it gives us something in return, on many levels. 

Think about that shimmering lake at sunset or the sound of waves lapping against a shoreline.  It makes me happy just imagining them.  For you, maybe it is the joy you find in your loved one’s smile or simply a great song.

In the quiet of my back yard where I have found one of the best places to contemplate, the chirping birds and the play of the breeze on the trees do something for my peace of mind as well.

My point to all of this is that to truly experience beauty, we must, at times, avoid distractions that prevent us from fully taking it in.  We must allow it to deeply touch us.

If you could find some time today to allow yourself to drink in something of beauty, you will most assuredly find yourself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually in a place of healing.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net (podcasts)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective