Giving My Money Away


 

I was listening to the news today and heard that lottery sales are up and that the winning jackpot is huge.  While I do not tend to buy lottery tickets, I paused for a moment and wondered if I should.

I would definitely be a philanthropist.  If I had that much money, which would be so much more than I would ever need, I would definitely think of ways to responsibly give it away.

But, my next thought put an end to all my dreaming.

If I were to win a lottery like that, all my days would be centered around managing that money and I would never be able to have peace of mind or focus on the things and people that really matter to me.

The thought of philanthropy had brought a smile to my face, but I quickly realized that we can be generous and share with others even if we are not billionaires.

Of course, I suspect for most, the idea of philanthropy when you are rich is that it will not tap into your reserves and endanger your lifestyle.

I am reminded of the poor widow in the Gospel of Mark, Chapter 12, Verse 41, who donated two small coins to the treasury.  Jesus made a point of calling his disciples over to tell them that she donated more than all of the rich people who gave large sums of money.

Why?

Because, he said, “they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.”

Even if you don’t win the lottery, I am betting you can still become a philanthropist on some level, because clearly, even the smallest contribution to help another is huge in the eyes of God.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective