Like Little Children





Just today as I stood at the stove cooking, out of the blue I started singing a song I had not thought of since I was probably 6 years old. Within moments, happy tears fell as a wave of childhood memories flooded over me.

After a few more happy tears, I decided to look on YouTube to see if by chance I could find the song online. With a thrill I saw that sure enough, there it was, along with at least a dozen other childhood favorites. I listened to one song after the other with pure delight and joy, feeling once again like that little girl I'd been who knew nothing of life other than that I was safe and happy and loved. 

I called my older sister and we spent some time reminiscing about those long-ago times and we wondered aloud: when exactly had we become grown-ups? And how and why had we become so serious and world-weary? We agreed that it had been wonderful to be reminded that life had once been very sweet and simple, and that this surprise of a childhood memory had been a gift to us both. 

May I invite you to join me on this happy little sojourn? Tonight, this week, this month, why not find a little time to reminisce? Is there perhaps an old trunk you keep in the attic that contains wonderful things from your childhood that you could re-visit? Or is there an album of favorite music you've kept lovingly from your teenage years that you can play on a turntable (or, like I did, find on YouTube?). Is there a book your parents always read to you that you might be able to find online? 

If you're in some way able to reach back to spend a little time with the child you once were, why not take the time soon?

Matthew 18:3 reminds us to become like little children.

Warm wishes to you and yours,
Sabrina 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective