Wait Is a Four-Letter Word

Download the pdf file
Here’s a crazy topic to be discussing, but I was so perplexed, I thought I’d throw is out and see what you think.  I’m a bit a news hound, I love a good news story, and I feel like the art of great journalism is fast becoming a thing of the past!  I’m constantly scouring the Internet for relevant, well-written articles, especially those of the Catholic nature.  When … lo and behold, I came across a reference to the L’Osservatore Romano—the Vatican’s daily newspaper.  Oohing and aahing, I ran for my computer to become a subscriber.  Yes, I read about this in a hardback book, imagine that!  Unfortunately, my source refers to L’Osservatore Romano as the world’s dullest newspaper.  I ignored the lack of a ringing endorsement, hopping on the Vatican website in anticipation of viewing a copy within minutes.  Not so fast.  

I was first redirected by a notice to subscribers: We would like to inform all our subscribers in the United States and Canada that The Cathedral Foundation of Baltimore, Maryland, has been entrusted with printing, managing and mailing the weekly English edition of L'Osservatore Romano for the U.S. and Canada.

Off I went, locating the page that would bring me to my ultimate prize—the Vatican news by way of the Vatican itself.  Upon viewing my options, however, I see that my only choice is to have a hard copy mailed to me via snail mail for $149.  This must be a mistake, I was sure.  No electronic version available, it’s unfathomable.  So, I picked up the phone and buzzed The Cathedral Foundation of Baltimore. 

Ring, ring …

Operator: Cathedral Foundation of Baltimore
Me: (a cheerful) Hello

Operator: (a cheerful) Hello
Me: How are you today?

Operator: (in a wary voice) Fine. (apparently, not sure)
Me: (happy and excited) I’m calling about a subscription to the Vatican Newspaper.

Operator: Ummhumm…
Me: (hopeful anticipation) Can you tell me if there is an option to get the paper electronically?

Operator: No
Me: Is it something that’s being considered?  I imagine there are many people who would be interested if it were, don’t you think?

Operator: (sarcastically) That would be up to the Vatican.
Me: Well … could you put me through? 

One ringy dingy...


Okay, I made that last part up.  I didn’t really ask to be connected to the Vatican, although the thought crossed my mind, the operator didn’t really sound like she was in the mood for any shenanigans. I wasn’t going to get anywhere anyway.  I pictured the operator to be like Lily Tomlin at one of those old-fashioned operator switchboards unplugging my cord, and glad to be rid of me ... snort ... snort.

This leaves me in a quandary, though.  Do I subscribe to the paper copy that will be delivered once a week?  Do I turn a blind eye to the costs ( pollution, trees) to getting it here? Or am I just mad because like so many things … I WANT IT NOW?


~Oh Lord, give me patience and give it to me now~

Lord, teach me to be patient—with life, with people,and with myself. I sometimes try to hurry things along too much, and I push for answers before the time is right. Teach me to trust Your sense of timing rather than my own and to surrender my will to Your greater and wiser plan. Help me let life unfold slowly, like the small rosebud whose petals unravel bit by bit, and remind me that in hurrying the bloom along, I destroy the bud and much of the beauty therein.

Instead, let me wait for all to unfold in its own time. Each moment and state of growth contains a loveliness. Teach me to slow down enough to appreciate life and all it holds. Amen.

Prayer Source: Unknown 
Linking up with: 
Sunday Snippets

Comments

  1. I'm not the one to judge whether or not you need more patience, but I will say that God also needs people who push for things to happen. If you and others like you weren't calling the Vatican demanding online subscriptions, who knows if it would ever happen? I say cultivate the patience, but don't let go of that amazing part of you that kicks the rest of us in the pants and gets us moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. daltongirl~ Your comment makes me want to get on the horn, and really make that call. Actually, maybe I'll send a nice email ~ one ringy dingy, two...

    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, patience. You cultivate it one decision at a time...at least that's what we learned in our Bible Study on James. Thanks for your house comments. It has been a long time in coming, and is something I never dreamed. We were patient and God has been very good to us! Things just worked out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen~ Oh, yes, James ... Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.

    Patience! Now that’s not always easy!

    With Warm Sincerity in Jesus’ Love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking for the electronic version, you can download the PDF form in English, look here http://www.vatican.va/news_services/or/or_eng/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or, there is an English dropdown box on the electronic version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy~ I thought the same thing. It looks like you can get a pdf version, but like the pdf linked in the article it's only the front page of the paper. I'd love a pdf of the entire paper! They do make DVD's of a years worth of past newspapers. Only 2009 is the most current available. Thanks for checking it out though...

    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holly, I really enjoyed your post. It was humorous and a good lesson on patience. Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Esther G~ Thank you for your kind words! I see that you have 8 blogs that you write for ... WOW! I've been to your "Catholic Moms In Hawaii" blog~ it's beautiful!

    Many blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Holly! It would not have been possible without our Lady's guidance. God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go to the website again and select New Website link. When you are there, go to the top right hand side where it may say Italiano and drop the box down to English.Then you can read the daily free until August but there is a subscription box. Read the Subscription Requirements. Then Subscription Conditions. Then if you want, you can use your credit card to subscribe. I'm surprised that the call center was unaware of it, unless there is incentive for them if the electronic version is not requested? At any rate, you can read some free until August.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy~ I'm on my way to follow your instructions! You are my hero. I'm surprised too. I must have caught the call center on a bad day.

    Thank you ... thank you ... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you are too funny! But it would be nice to be a bit more patient..ok I have very little... Good post. Maybe the Vatican will be asked about it one of these days?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, well … what do you know? Perhaps, this is a different lesson altogether. I’ve been learning a lot of lessons these days … all I can say is, keep’em coming Lord!

    Thanks Kathy! It took me a bit of clicking around, but I’ve been happily reading the online version of L’Osservatore Romano, thanks to YOUR PATIENCE with me! Anyone else interested in checking out the Vatican news—follow Kathy’s instructions.

    I’m going to call the The Cathedral Foundation of Baltimore Monday and let them know there is an online version. If they have any questions … I’ll direct them to Kathy! I’m off to do some more reading…

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been feeling frustrated the past few days about the lack of resolution to a situation I'm in - and I so appreciate your reminder to be patience with the Lord's timing and be content with my current state. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it great the way the internet allows us to connect with others who actually can solve our problems.?

    Nice blog you all have here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. RAnn~ You certainly have that right! BTW - Thank you for hosting Sunday Snippets! I really enjoyed visiting all the other blogs. Sunday Snippets is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holly, I don't know if this is the same publication, but I just got word of this, its news from the vatican that will be available online, and thought I'd pass it along: http://www.news.va/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Joan! I'm all signed up to get the electronic copy (much cheaper then the paper copy $40 instead of $149) and The Cathedral Foundation of Baltimore now knows about the electronic version too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Actually, I should let you all know ... if you happen to call the number listed for ordering a subscription of the newspaper from the Cathedral Foundation of Baltimore, they won't tell you about the electronic version even if you ask. Why? Well, that's a little unclear to me, actually. Apparently, it's top secret.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective