Could we re-learn respect and modesty by covering our heads at Mass? | CatholicHerald.co.uk


Francis Phillips writes:

Having now read some of the blog posts at the (new) Association of Catholic women bloggers, I must apologise to the good lady who asked me to join it. At the time I saw it as a kind of breakaway movement from the proposed Guild of Catholic bloggers which has been discussed on the Herald blog site, and felt that we needed to be united, not divided. What I did not appreciate, in my haste to reject the proposal, is that it is not a question of ‘Either/Or’ but of ‘Both/And’. The Church is rich, diverse, and we Catholics have a multiplicity of different ways of communicating our common faith; thank God for it.

There are obvious difference between the posts on the Catholic women’s blog site and the Herald’s: the former is more personal in tone, less engaged in politics, less disputatious and argumentative, more concerned with sharing stories of conversion or ‘reversion’ and how faith is lived in family life and in adversity. In short, it points to the difference between men and women.

A remark on one of the posts has triggered this blog: “I [now] cover my head at Mass.’ I have sometimes debated this question with women friends. I grew up in the days when women always covered their heads at Mass, with scarves or hats; if I or my sisters emerged from the house on a Sunday without an appropriate head covering, my father would send us straight back indoors to find one. It came as a shock after Vatican II to see that this ‘rule’ was now totally disregarded. Even the elderly gradually stopped covering their heads.

Ctd at link below:

Could we re-learn respect and modesty by covering our heads at Mass? | CatholicHerald.co.uk

Comments

  1. I would absolutely like to start covering my head at mass, but as a convert I don't want to get it wrong or be seen as drawing attention to myself.
    When I was at a mass with the Cardinal I slipped my chiffon scarf across my head as I went up to receive and I wore a hat for the Papal Mass in Birmingham because it felt as though I was being told to so by the Spirit.
    I would welcome some advice on what to wear and how to get them, also I am pretty good at sewing so if there are any templates or patterns i could make my own. I will be wearing a hat at Rhiannon and Marks wedding as I do for all funerals, weddings etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this contribution.
    Following the link, it is interesting to read the many comments to the article.

    I hope the ACWB will not lean in any one direction but support the individual choice of Catholic women as to their headgear.

    A history of the subject relates the mantilla to the veil of the Near East, the covering of the hair, the "crowning glory" in daily life, long hair being considered provocative.
    To see it as sacred in some way, it to forget its connection with subservience.
    Provided that aspect is gone, no reason not to wear it if it makes you happy and prayerful at Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Maria..the ACWB has no official line...just as there is no preference for one form of the Mass. Of course individual ladies may have their own preferences & may write from personal experience...I must say I loved the picture of Cam a while back with her daughters 7 wearing head-coverings..suited them though not for me..Hope this helps..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cover my hair and I am a young lady so I understand where you are coming from diddleymaz.
    When I first started I didnt know if I should do it. But days later I realized that this is for me, and I wish every woman caould feel this. I say that go ahead and try it, you will never go back. Plus it helps you pay more attention to mass which is a real bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to Mass with a chiffon scarf tonight,I put it over my head as I entered church,my first Mass with a covered head,it felt right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to say thankyou for posting The Roman Catholic but also to say that it is entirely possible for women to "feel" what you do & pay attention to Mass without a head covering. The ACWB has no preference though of course it's nice to hear your personal experience. God bless..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary