Keeping a Spiritual Journal


Picture source

Writing in a journal has been a big part of my life. I think I started as a teenager. Most of my journal writing was boring, day-to-day entries..same complaints..same routine. It is only recently that I have been keeping a spiritual journal. I write in my journal every morning prior to Mass beginning. In this journal I write my daily examinations of conscience, saintly maxims and quotes and other observations. I also write in prayer intentions, especially for Holy Hour of Adoration and Mass.

Sometimes people will wonder what I am writing. Even my own mom asked me "what do you are writing about?".  I am not merely writing though. I am also talking to God as I write.  My face may be buried in the journal but my heart and mind are on God.  It is a private time with Him and I really cherish those moments of peace.

My first spiritual journal is almost complete. I have filled it with many of the above named entries. It is full of lists of my sins and failings. Many of which I am very ashamed of and/or regret very much.

Sometimes I am tempted to share some of my entries on my own blog as a kind of penance. But then again, I am too private a person to do that. I admire those women who do share some of their private thoughts on the internet or in books. Maybe some day I will. But not now. I will however, give you an example of what I have written:

Good Advice: 1st Paragraph Page 45 (I believe this is from the St. Therese book I wrote about previously)

"We have merely to love Him, without looking at ourselves, without examining our faults too much."

May 9th 2011 entry

Examination of Conscience 5/10/11 Feast of st. Damien of Molokai

- A few times I grew impatient with situations with J. But controlled myself considerably with God's help.

- Father D. advised me to thank God for the good confession and to pray for the graces I need.

- Dear Lord, please give me the graces I need to make it through the day without offending you.


Do any of you keep a spiritual journal or diary? Do you share any of your private thoughts with others? Is it helpful to you?

I hope you share your thoughts on keeping such a journal.

Comments

  1. I began keeping a spiritual journal about 8 years ago upon my return to the Church. My entries are usually in the form of a letter to Jesus. Aside from my reversion story, I do not share too much personal stuff on my blog(at least not the really personal stuff)Some things I think God would prefer I keep between Him and me; like Mary pondering all in her heart.
    Thanks for sharing about your journal and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I tend to keep a journal 7 over the years have found it helpful. I write down petitions/intercessions; scripture readings; extracts about the saints or other inspiring people; thanksgivings; direction; confession/penance...One thing I discovered recently in reading the Diary of St faustina again was where she notes her successes & failures by number..I expect an examination of conscience..I have been inspired by this post to take up my journal again & record my spiritual progress & the great miracles God has worked in my life..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther,
    I journal also and have done it different ways. One of my FAVORITE journals was written by me AND my cousin/bestfriend who lives several hours away! What we did was...we EACH started a journal and SKIPPED a page or two...we did this for several weeks and then we mailed each other the journal we started...then we wrote in THAT journal on the skipped pages!! We did it 2 different times like that...she kept the two I started and I kept the two SHE started! They are beautiful too, because we cut out pictures, used stickers, glitter...you name it! We would question something...like a scripture quote, etc..then the other would put their input in. It was SOOOOOOOOO much fun!! Maybe I'll put a picture on my blog! Enjoy...and make it BEAUTIFUL!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kariann, Jackie and Lindy, am I in good company! I love the idea of letters to Jesus!

    St. Faustina's Diary had an influence in my decision to keep one. I writing on a daily basis now. When I first started...over two years ago, I only wrote in it sporadically.

    What another good idea! I hope other young women follow that example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all people, Andrew Greeley inspired me to keep a journal. "My Love," and "Windows," are his two books on his journals. He begins each as a letter to God, "My Love..." and he doesn't write every day, which I (for some unknown reason) thought one had to do. I write at the end of the day, and my examination of conscience consists of three questions: What good did I do today? Where did I fail to do good? How do I plan to do better?
    When I started to blog, I thought that would be the end of journaling, but my blog isn't as personal as my journal. I certainly am not going to examine my conscience on the world wide web.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also journal..and record the Lord's words to me, as well as my outpourings to Him.
    It is very private and personal..but occasionaly He leads me to share something from it on my blog.
    I think journaling helps us to see how He is directing our spiritual journey.
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective