It's Morning...But it's Dark Enough to Be Evening


It's going to be just me and the my husband for real after this week is over. My youngest is packing up as I write. He's got music blaring from his room and boxes everywhere, just like at my mom's house. We've sifted through all manor of memories as he's emptied the closet's and drawers for the first time in years.

From old stuffed animals he couldn't part with when he was three to the keys to his first car...we've had some good laughs.

But today's weather is a real reflection on my heart. We're in the rainy season here in Florida and it's the time of year when a storm can make it look and sound like the end of the world. It's morning, but dark enough to be evening. The sun is somewhere behind the clouds, but the brightest light comes unexpectedly with a flash of lightening. If your lucky the power stays on through it all as the rain falls like sheets from the heavens.

My husband says I should be happy. The children's enthusiasm to leave and go out on their own means I've done my job. The oldest has been gone for 6 years and now ... the youngest heads out for his last semester and graduates in December. He's got a house with some friends, so he won't be back.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

---Proverbs 22:6

That was one promise I held onto during the child rearing years...The other was;

All your sons will be taught by the LORD, and great will be your children's peace.

---Isaiah 54:13

More than anything I pray for the fulfillment of these verses in their lives..That they walk with the Lord and live in peace. There's so many things I wish I would have done better for them as a mother...but I can't go back. Now it's time to pray them forward and trust them to Jesus and Mary.

It's morning...

I'm happy for him.

But it's dark enough to be night...

It hurts to see him go..

They'll be flashes of light.

When I see them again.

The power will stay on in my heart because....

You keep him in perfect peace,

whose mind is stayed on You,

because he trusts in You.

Trust in the Lord forever,

for the Lord is an everlasting rock.

---Isaiah 26:3-4

+PAX

Photo credit:

flickr

Comments

  1. I have a little one, not quite two years old, and I am already projecting how hard it's going to be when he leaves me. I know it's a long way away, but one's life is so intertwined with our children that I can see how one is left like a part of one's soul has departed. May God be with your child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Manny. I try to remember moms and their children especially when I pray the rosary.
    God bless your little one. I pray he grows up strong in his faith.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective