'Can you pray for my sick dog?'

The Holy Family with a Bird, Murillo, painted 1650.

I was in our parish church in Dublin this afternoon praying when I saw a young man of about 19 come in, kneel in the front pew for a couple of minutess, light a candle in front of the latar of the Blessed Virgin and then leave. I was thinking that it was a hopeful sign to see a young person do this. Indeed, yesterday at Sunday Mass, while the congregation at the Mass at 11am wasn't great, there were some young people present.

A few minutes latr thee young man came, approached me and told me his dog was sick. I wouldn't describe him as distressed but he was upset. I asked hiim how old his dog was and he said 'three'. He also gave me the dog's name, 'Sam'. I asked him if he had taken Sam to the vet. 'He's with him right now', he told me.

I mentioned two saints to the young man, whose name I asked but won't mention here, who had the gift of healing animals, St Francis and St Martin de Porres. (I'm not certain that St Francis actually healed them but many churches bless pets on his feast day). The young man was happy with this and went off. I prayed of him and for little Sam.


St Martin de Porres is sometimes depicted with a broom, a dog, cat, mouse and bird at his feet. He had the gift of healing persons and their animals, as the picture above suggests. (If the picture disappears click on the link. I'm not sure whether or not it's copyright but the link brings you to the source).Probably health authorities today in the West would be horrified to see animals outside a hospital ward!
 
Full post here.

Comments

  1. Father, Bl. Francis X. Seelos has also been known to heal animals recently. I shared the following when I first started the Pet Prayer Blog:
    http://prayersforourpets.blogspot.com/2009/03/veterinarians-recommend-fr-seelos.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs are part of the family. When my first died I was in tears. They give us so much love. Prayers to St Francis and St Martin for that poor dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Esther, for your care for all of God's creatures, human and animal. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love St Martin De Porres...so you are in Dublin!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much Father! God bless you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Father Sean

    Please send urgent prayers for a lab named Lucy. Although her prognosis isn't good, she is the love and best friend of her owner Jack. With the power of prayer Lucy will have many good years ahead. Thank you.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective