Holy Work by AmySecrist



“If you are humble, nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.  If you are blamed, you won’t be discouraged; if anyone calls you a saint, you won’t put yourself on a pedestal.” 

 ~Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

My ears adjust, repressurize
in response to the forty-fifth high-pitched scream of the day
as I scrape uneaten bits of lettuce and broccoli from the dinner plates.
“This is holy work,” I tell myself,
my face close to the trash can, the odor
of old banana peels and used diapers mixing and wafting upward.
My husband stops home for a quick dinner
and I tell him how I’ve not yet lost my mind;
then he heads back to the office and I lose my mind.
The little ones pick and poke and pester each other,
and I add my screeches to their screeching and everything stops -
“I’m sorry,” I tell them, stooping down.  ”I could have said that nicely.”


Almost before I ask, they forgive me and we are hugging;
they are giving me all of their love, so I am giving them all of mine -
this is holy work.

Comments

  1. well said... humility IS the key to love, our kids hearts and God

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Humility is SUCH hard work. And when I'm praying, and I ask God to "make me humble" or "help me to be humble," I immediately realize what I've just done (I've asked God to give me humiliations, for that is the only road to humility!!!) and I start back-pedaling my prayer right away! "oh, no, maybe I don't really want to be humble...ok, make me humble but don't make it hurt, etc!" :) Thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective