Marie-Antoinette's Journey of Faith
I have always felt that Maxime de la Rocheterie's description of Marie-Antoinette is one of the best: She was not a guilty woman, neither was she a saint; she was an upright, charming woman, a little frivolous, somewhat impulsive, but always pure; she was a queen, at times ardent in her fancies for her favourites and thoughtless in her policy, but proud and full of energy; a thorough woman in her winsome ways and tenderness of heart, until she became a martyr. ( The Life of Marie-Antoinette by M. de la Rocheterie, 1893) Marie-Antoinette spent the first fourteen years of her life in Austria, worshiping in Rococo churches and listening to the music of Haydn and the Italian composers. Architecture and music in that time and place celebrated the glory of God in the beauty of His creation. As Queen, her desire to promote beauty around her, especially in the lives of those whom she loved, was an outgrowth of the culture in which she was raised. She loved theater, acting, o...


I love Julian of Norwich myself, and "All shall be well..." is a great quote. But I don't believe Julian was ever made a saint in the Catholic Church. She was only beautified. She might be a saint in the Anglican Church. I don't know how it works there.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_of_Norwich
REALLY!! After all these years, but there was no Anglican church in the Middle Ages!! Oh well, "all shall be well"; beautified will have to do. I suppose then it is Lady Julian of Norwich. thanks for the info
DeleteYou're welcome. I wish they would make her a saint. :)
Deleteme too
DeleteThank you for this much-needed quote Melanie. Very timely.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you for all your good works.
but it is so much fun Victor
Delete