The Tradition of the Christmas Crib

The tradition of the Christmas Crib dates back all the way to the thirteenth century when the first one was celebrated.  It was the idea of St. Francis of Assisi and brought to life by his friend Messier Giovanni Velitta.

Growing up, my family didn't have a Christmas Crib and the birth of Christ was never really mentioned.  My folks had both abandoned their respective faiths.

I converted as an adult and when I was baptized in December of 1981, I received the manger and the Holy Family as a gift from a friend.  I was able to buy the three wise men, the shepherd boy, donkey and lamb over the course of several Christmases.  My first Christmas Crib was complete!

To read more about my Christmas Crib and Pope Benedict XVI's reflection, click here.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective