Lay Down Your Numerical Trophies!

I have been thinking a lot about a concept brought up in this past week’s Friday post on the FFF blog.  The guest author, Sheryl, admits openly and honestly that:
While it is true that the main intent of breastfeeding is, of course, the nourishment of one’s baby, few women would admit to the almost selfish fact that, for them, breastfeeding is also a personal accomplishment.  Something to be proud of, a badge to wave around in playgroups, the number of months or years of EBF being a clear numerical trophy of one’s sense of accomplishment.  For women like this, failing at a project despite all the preparations is a crushing blow.
I find these comments about nursing insightful, honest, and true!  I cannot count how many women have brandished their numerical nursing trophies in my face.  Even when the topic of conversation had nothing to do with nursing, several mothers I know work hard to throw in a comment regarding the number of months they nursed their child.  I didn’t see this as their “badge to wave around” until I read the post on the FFF, but it is certainly true.  However, nursing isn't the only aspect of motherhood prey to such prideful displays.

Which begs the question: what kind of numerical trophies do I put on display?
click to continue reading...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary