What I Would Say If My Child Were Gay

We are treading on controversial ground here, and I cannot go there without a disclaimer that I realize this is heavy. And also, I must say that I am not all-knowing, so always with controversy, I accept the humility that my opinions, facts, and ability to reason are subject to flaw, because of my nature (fallen, that is). You don't have to agree with me. In fact, I welcome open-minded thoughts here. I wouldn't be writing this if I thought we all thought the same thing.

If your child decided that he were gay, what would you do? Would you go into full-on, freak-out mode? Recently, I read a post on Glennon Melton Doyle's very popular blog Momastery, in which she writes an imaginary letter, in the event that her son Chase hypothetically turned out to be gay.  She states, as the title suggests, that it's "a mountain she is willing to die on." While it was a lot of good food for thought- I recommend reading it, just so you know what is out there- I felt like she has gotten a few things wrong. I appreciate the mission of the Momastery blog. I know that I've read a few great posts there, over the years. But somehow, I missed this post.

Ever wonder what you would do or say in the same situation? If it happened to me,  if my child decided that he were gay, honestly, I don't know for sure what I would do. I would probably throw a temper tantrum, out of fear and love for my child.    {read the rest at Picture a Skyline}

Comments

  1. Just to point out, "being gay", which I would assume you mean having an attraction to the same-sex, is not wrong in itself according to the Church. Acting on those actions are, according to Church teaching.

    Secondly, it becomes an issue of circular logic and clarity if you claim that homosexuality is wrong because it is wrong. That is not what the Church says at all. There must be a reason for it to be wrong. You also believe that a culture that does not follow church teaching cannot be trusted for anything. That is a pretty narrow-minded view,as there is much to the world outside of the Church's bubble. You claim that homosexuality is not a healthy lifestyle. Why? What does it do to a person? Many people like to make these superficial statements without explaining anything. Same with the marriage statements. If same sex couple were given the legal ability to marry, there would most likely be a decrease in STDs as people are "structured" to be more committed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary