Lord, Save Me From the Latin Mass...

I am old enough to remember the Latin Mass. When I was 7, I made my First Holy Communion, and the Mass was in Latin. Even at that age, I didn’t like the Latin Mass because you couldn’t understand it. Also, the priest never turned around and looked at the Congregation during the Mass. All the readings were in Latin, and, unless you had a Missal, you couldn’t understand what the readings meant. It was way too easy to let my mind wander far away from church, the mass, and everything else around me. If the priest’s homily was based on the readings, it was hard to make a connection between what the priest was saying and the words read by the priest in Latin.

When Vatican II had concluded, and I attended the first Mass said in English, I was stunned.
Read More at:  Prayerfully Yours

Comments

  1. It's nice to see something written by a Catholic who remembers 'the good old days' - that's not an angsty lament about Vatican II. ;)

    As an adult convert to Catholicism, I've got a slightly different viewpoint. I might have become a Catholic, anyway - - - but being able to understand what's said in Mass helped.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary