Anyone for Tennis?

I was incensed when an American commentator said the English are not really interested in tennis, they're just mad on Wimbledon. But when I thought about it I had to admit that there was more than a grain of truth in what she said. I could name at least half a dozen people who plan their holidays to coincide with Wimbledon fortnight. Even if they don't go in person, they spend hours glued to the box like me.
I always find that Wimbledon is something of a spiritual experience. Of course I don't watch for that reason, I watch because I enjoy the matches, but every year the dedication of the players to what matters most to them makes me compare unfavourably my own dedication to what should matter most to me. It's the quality of their single-mindedness that always impresses me.  read on...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective