Tuning Out the Devil's Radio

One of my original compositions, digitally enhanced photo - "Fall Leaves"




Gossip. It's everywhere, on the news, television, everywhere. I rarely give it a second thought. Until this weekend, when it hit me how gossip about a friend could have seriously hurt his family, his faith life, and his career if I had given in to the temptation to gossip.

A friend was accused of the vague term "abuse" and removed from his position at a Catholic school as well as from parish duties. The pastor's letter read from the altar after Mass, was so unexpected I gasped at the news.

I thirsted for the truth - but was I really yearning to know the truth, or simply find reassurance that no, this good person couldn't be tempted? Because if I did find out that this good person had been tempted, then it meant that I too, could be tempted...maybe not in the same way, but no one is immune...

I squirmed. I did not want that reminder.

Gossip. It's never really about what you think it's about. It's always about your own need for safety and control.

Thankfully, the Holy Spirit was on patrol and slapped some spiritual duct-tape on my mouth before I could do harm. My thoughts on turning the dial and tuning out the devil's radio - gossip - on my blog today.

Read it here: Tuning Out the Devil's Radio

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective