Just Taste the Gravy!

I was talking to someone the other day who I am fast considering to be the king of analogies.  In our conversation about faith, he offered this one—off the cuff—to describe the challenges of introducing others to Jesus who are not interested in testing the waters of faith.

He said it is like getting a grandchild who insists they do not like gravy, to try it.  It goes like this:

Grandpa:  Why don’t you try some gravy on those mashed potatoes?

Grandson:  I don’t like it.

Grandpa:  How do you know?  Have you tried it?

Grandson:  No, I haven’t tried it, but I know I don’t like it.

Grandpa:  Here, just try a little bit.

Grandson tries it and decides he likes Grandpa’s gravy.  

What a perfect analogy!  How many people have made a decision that they want no part of “religion” without even knowing what it means to have faith?

Like Grandpa, people of faith struggle with how to offer that small, bite-sized portion.  Too often, we pile it on and smother people with too much. The truth is, it often takes just one encounter with Jesus to help people understand what all the fuss is about.

But, as was mentioned in our conversation, people must come to own it themselves.  You can’t simply tell someone gravy is wonderful or convince them of it, they have to taste it for themselves.

I told you he was the king of analogies.

So that is the dilemma.  As a Christian person of faith, I want you to really understand why so many of us are passionate about Jesus, why the Good News that we are all saved is so wonderful.  

I want you to know what it means to try to live a holy, imperfect life and what it means to have eternal life.

I want you to know that there is a difference between knowing about Jesus, and knowing Jesus.  

Please, I desperately want you to throw off any preconceived ideas and taste a portion of it for yourself.  My words are inadequate when it comes to explaining how tremendous is the power of God and how great his love for us.

So there you have it.  I am officially inviting you to taste the gravy.  Just try a small sampling.  Ask someone of faith what it means to them.  Go to this website and read a little or watch a couple of videos. 

But for now, don’t get lost in complexity.  Keep it simple.

At first, you really don’t need to know what is in the gravy or how it is made in order to appreciate its goodness.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
janetcassidy.blubrry.net
Johnseven38@yahoo.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary