On Fire for the Lord


Our neighbors a few doors down shot off a bunch of fireworks for the Fourth of July.  We were able to sit on our front porch and enjoy the display, and I appreciate that.  But, I am of the mindset that there are some people in whose hands fireworks should not be allowed.  

I’m just not a big fan of the idea that anyone with a few bucks in their pocket (no doubt more than a few) can purchase fireworks and set off the equivalent of a professional display in their driveway.

Let me preface this by saying that I suppose I am in the minority when I admit that I am not a huge fireworks fan.  I don’t mind seeing them from a distance, but I’m not a big fan of having them close by me.

Years ago when I was young, I watched a misguided firework go into a crowd of people not too far from where I was sitting.  I guess I sort of grew up with a little fear of them, but we did our due diligence when we had kids and went to displays, did sparklers and so forth, but still, not a big fan.

So on this Fourth of July, the neighbor a few doors down thought it would be cool, I guess, to light two fireworks right next to each other.  They were the powerful, fiery ones that explode into a lot of color.  Only, when the one shot off, the other tipped over and send the fiery blast into the neighbor’s yard that sits between us.

Fortunately, they were not home, but we nearly jumped as we expected it was heading into our garage.  Lucky for us it fizzled in the neighbor’s yard, leaving a significant burned scar on their front lawn.  

Let me just say that a lit, misguided firework, can be a dangerous thing. Our neighbors were really lucky that it didn’t tip over in their direction.
As we sat on the porch, I told my husband that at least they had learned their lesson and wouldn’t do that again.  

Silly me.

Of course they continued to light two together.  Fortunately, nothing happened with those, but still, if you don’t have common sense and technique, you should probably not be handling fireworks—especially at the end of your driveway as cars are passing by!

I don’t think Timothy was thinking of fireworks when he said “I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands.  For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control.”  (2 Tim 1:6)

But the truth is, if we stir into flame the gifts God has given us, and they are as powerful and fiery as that firework, they can have quite the impact on this world.  

We should remember that, in talking about baptism, Jesus said in the Gospel of Luke (Chapter 12, Verse 49), “I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing.”

I can confirm his arrival last night, next door, and our neighbor’s yard has the burn mark to prove it!

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blubrry.net
johnseven38@yahoo.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary