Dabbling in poetry, inspired by the greats

Recently as a homeschool project, our family created a Famous Artists Jar. We pick a new famous artist each week, from our pool of Visual Artists, Musicians, Poets, and Writers.  The kids take turns and love discovering someone new, foreign, or familiar each week in greater depth.  We take to the local library each week to peruse, discover, and ingest further our learnings and our research. We check out many books which may help us to better understand the artist under intense scrutiny. :).  (haha). 😆

Inspired by my own children's curiosity, I took to writing some poems, inspired by some of the greats. Although short and heavily inspired by outside source material, I have attempted to express my thoughts and espouse my opinions with as much care as I have had time to give each piece of writing.  And so without further ado, here are some poems I wrote over the past few weeks.

Time

(inspired by Robert Frost)

My time is fleeting here on earth
This moment masked by this amount of mirth
The hours on the clock fly by
And what is left but time to sigh

Worry chokes my infinite breaths
Stopping time to pause before death
To plan four months until, anew
My body to a baby's birth given to

This era of life marked by my girth
Round like a clockface, dust unto dirt
I leave behind a legacy beyond time
Family inheritance, my aspect, our line

Food and Cowardice

(inspired by Basho)

Try to swallow gourmet drink
digest and chew meat
Marinate,  but do not choke

Creativity

(inspired by Shakespeare)

Study, labor, vigor, vigorous
Virtue lends itself to focus
Passion comes from attention
Inventiveness the result,
Study the cause

If to effect, effective affect
Wanting one effect
The cause be love
A bird passes the moon,
Over a mountain pass
A beautiful thing arouses
No abuse of forsworn intent
of suspicion or wrong doing
An abject sprig of caution,
To play with - and like
the bird in flight in night-
to seek freedom,
disdain attention, flattery

see more at tacywb.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary