Did the Devil Make you do it?


 

I think the devil has taken over my phone.  For days now, my prayer list keeps disappearing.  I re-enter it in my reminders and then the next day it is gone. 

Before you helpfully suggest I might have different reminder lists for my different emails, it is true I do, and I have checked them.  It is like somebody doesn’t want me praying.

But, because I go over my list regularly, I can pretty much re-write it from memory, which is what I have had to do.  Finally, I got smart and just put it in my Notes on my phone and that is where it has stayed, untouched by the evil one.

It is kind of strange, but just like some people blame God for everything that goes wrong, some people like to blame the devil for everything.  Now that’s not to say that the devil doesn’t exist or that he isn’t working hard to direct us down the wrong path, but we do have to take personal responsibility for our truly sinful behavior.

“The devil made me do it” can easily become a cop-out that seemingly frees us from admitting our part in cooperating with evil.

But the truth is, if we do not take personal responsibility for our sinful behavior, then we will not recognize the need for repentance.  And if we do not recognize our need for repentance, then any chance of our seeking reconciliation with God is slim.

And a life lived, separated from God due to our own defiance, enslaved by sin which we choose to embrace rather than reject, is not a life of joy, but just the opposite.

The good news is that no matter your sin, you do not have to stay separated from God.  Just turn towards him.  Ask him for forgiveness.  Seek reconciliation.  If you are Catholic, go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

God loves you and is calling you.  

May the 40 days of Lent that will soon be upon us (Ash Wednesday is February 17th) be your best Lent ever.  May you offer your heart to Jesus and really listen and respond to what he wants to offer you.

I encourage you not to stand in your stubbornness.  Do not let your obstinance keep you from enjoying the only true happiness that we can have on this earth, for when we live our life in union with God, we will have a deep joy that will never disappear.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary