Lion Food? Oh My!

 In the first century, around 110 A.D., St. Ignatius of Antioch wrote seven letters on his way to martyrdom.  He would be eaten by lions in Circus Maximus, which was a stadium where chariot races were held, among other things, obviously.

In his letter to the Romans, as he willingly made the journey to his death, he said:

"Only pray for me that I may have strength both inward and outward; that I may not merely speak but have also the will; that I may not only be called a Christian but may also be found to be one.  For if I be found to be one, then I can also be called one and be deemed faithful even when I am no longer visible in the world."

Striking in this excerpt from his letter is the distinction between being called a Christian and being found to be one.

I would suspect there are many among us who call themselves Christians, but are identified as such in name only.  For if there were evidence that they were actually a Christian, perhaps through their actions, it would be then that they would deserve to be called one.

It is simply not okay to say you are a Christian, yet never go to Church/Mass (unless you are prevented from doing so).  To behave immorally without any tax on your conscience.  To appear holy publicly, but dance with the devil privately.  To hold fast to convictions that oppose respect for human life.  To just plan ignore Jesus as if you do not need him.

The list goes on and on, but that's not my point.  We are all sinners, and (hopefully) we know it and fight against our sins.

But my point is this--Ignatius walked toward his death because he refused to speak against Christ --  "I am dying willingly for God's sake, if only you do not prevent it . . .Allow me to be eaten by the beasts, which are my way of reaching to God.  I am God's wheat, and I am to be ground by the teeth of wild beasts, so that I may become the pure bread of Christ."

Wow. 

Not sure how many of us think that way today, but it might be worth our time to consider if we are Christian in name only, or if we would be found to actually be one, as we make our own journey through this life.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com
johnseven38@yahoo.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective