Day 5

 5th Day of Christmas 

     Happy Christmas

Today is the Feast of St Thomas of Canterbury.




Gospel

Luke 22:24-30

I confer a kingdom on you, just as the Father conferred one on me

A dispute arose between the disciples about which should be reckoned the greatest, but Jesus said to them:

‘Among pagans it is the kings who lord it over them, and those who have authority over them are given the title Benefactor. This must not happen with you. No; the greatest among you must behave as if he were the youngest, the leader as if he were the one who serves. For who is the greater: the one at table or the one who serves? The one at table, surely? Yet here am I among you as one who serves!

‘You are the men who have stood by me faithfully in my trials; and now I confer a kingdom on you, just as my Father conferred one on me: you will eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel.’


Comment:

St Thomas was a loyal servant of King Henry 2nd. But when the King asked him to do something that went against God's will, he stayed faithful to the Lord. The King got irritated with Henry when he wasn't able to manipulate him and that  he persistently put God first. One day he said, maybe not meaning it, "Who will rid me of this wretched priest???" Some of the kings soldiers, believing it's what the king wanted, went off and murdered Thomas in Canterbury Cathedral 

How often do we encounter people or situations where we are faced , even in little ways, with a tug between choosing the Will of God or choosing what might be convenient and more beneficial in human terms. 

I know that God's will for me is my happiness. 

Thank you Lord for everything. The good, and what I think is the bad. Thank you, because with you everything is for the good. The pain, the shame, the rain - everything!

Thank you mostly for your love, which I will never get to the bottom of on this earth. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary