Chasing out the demons

I've read this passage in the Gospel of Luke (Lk 11:14-23)  a million times.  You know, the one where Jesus drives out a "demon that was mute"?  What I never really noticed before was that as soon as the demon is out, the mute man spoke, to everyone's amazement.

It occurred to me that the evil one likes it when we are silent.

There are a lot of reasons people do not speak up, but most of them, I would venture to guess, have nothing to do with the realization that it pleases Satan.  Sometimes I think that is how we have gotten into the mess we are in today in regards to moral issues.

Jesus is the one who freed the man and gave him his voice back.  Perhaps he is calling you today to use your voice for good.  In fact, we learn in this passage that it is by "the finger of God" that Jesus drives out demons.  It is his power that makes it possible, not our own, but we, indeed, need to collaborate with God.

If God is calling you to speak the truth, he will remove what prevents you from doing so.  Jesus can (and will) take away the obstacles that are keeping you silent.  Are you afraid you will not have the words you need?  Are you afraid of the consequences?  Do you feel inadequate?  Do you think he would never use YOU?  Do you feel that you lack courage?

Here is a prayer I like to pray whenever I need to be sure I am doing the right thing.  Maybe you will find it useful as well.  I copied it a long time ago from Laudate:

"Lord, if what I seek be according to your will, then let it come to pass and let success attend the outcome.

But if not, my God, let it not come to pass.

Do not leave me to my own devices, for you know how unwise I can be.  Keep me safe under your protection Lord my God, and in your own gentle way guide me and rule me as you know best.  Amen."

It is a great, humble prayer that assures us that we are not moving forward with our own agenda.  Ask God to remove whatever is keeping you silent, and if you are to speak, he will allow it.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective