Giving God Direction

Here's kind of a funny thing.  See if you can relate to it.  I was praying about something which I have absolutely no control over, and I uttered these words:

"Lord, I'm going to let you direct this."

I could almost hear God laughing as soon as the prayer left my lips.  How big of me to give God permission to do something!  What kind of authority did I think I have over God anyway?

I immediately realized that my prayer should have been:

"Lord, I trust you with this."

Humility before God is essential to our relationship with him, but it is clearly something some of us need to work through in our humanity!

In my defense, I would like to claim that the intent of my initial prayer was to simply acknowledge that the resolution was out of my hands, and that I expected God to direct it.  After all, I do like to pray in advance, with confidence in God.

Maybe you will keep this in mind when you pray, trusting God with your worries, because the truth is, our confidence in him is very well-placed.

I hope you are having a fruitful Lent.  Remember to be a peacemaker wherever you can.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective