Practice Makes Perfect?

I was watching the Michigan basketball game with our son (since our beloved State team had already been eliminated) and we were grumbling about their shooting.  They just couldn't hit a basket.

Since everyone becomes an expert when they are watching a game, I commented that it seems to me the most important thing a player can do in preparation for a game is to practice those foul and 3-point shots.  Stand there all day until you have perfected it.  Some players look like it's the first time they've ever faced a foul shot.

Obviously, I'm not being fair--and maybe even a little harsh--since you could practice it endlessly and still miss it.  I guess that's because we are not perfect, no matter how hard we try.

So when it comes to "practicing" one's faith, we have to remember to give ourselves a break sometimes.  Our goal isn't to be perfect, because that is not something we will ever be able to attain on this earth.  Our goal is to be faithful.

When scripture tells us to be "perfect as your Father is perfect" it helps for us to remember that God is perfect love and the closer we get to God, the closer we will be to perfection.  I heard that recently and thought it was good insight.

When I was in about 6th grade in our Catholic school, way back when, you were not allowed to talk in the  hallways when your class was on the move, walking in a straight line.  Well, I got it in my head one day that I was going to try to go the entire day without talking!  I have absolutely no idea why I set that as a goal, which I will readily admit was unachievable for a talker like me.

My point is, let's not set goals that are unachievable.  Besides, when we do that, we are actually spending our time and energy on the wrong thing.  A reasonable goal would have been for me to strive to be a better listener, for instance, or to use my natural curiosity to ask good questions.  It would not have served any purpose whatsoever for me to work on not talking all day!

They say "practice makes perfect" but the older I get, the more I wonder if that's true.  Committing to practicing is a good thing if I have the goal of becoming the best I can be.  So, if you have not achieved perfection yet--which I am sure you haven't--revisit what you are aiming for and see if it needs tweaking, and then give yourself a break if you can't hit every shot you take.

The important thing is for you to stay in the game and keep trying.  Every Monday I spend 30 minutes with a group of people from my Alma Mater (Augustine Institute) who are still in the midst of academia. They are ten times smarter than I am, but I love their challenging discussions and our time together has helped me to have greater appreciation for the text we are discussing, and it is directly impacting my daily life as I apply new-found insight to the challenges I face.

Practice and accept your imperfections, because in the end, it's important to at least be a part of the team.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective