Where is Freedom found?

Years ago when we were homeschooling our kids, my friend turned me on to a 10 volume history series by Joy Hakim called The History of Us.  Recently I have decided that I don't know enough about history, so I grabbed a different book she wrote called Freedom, A History of US.

I could go on and on about how inspired I have been as I have read about the struggles and ideas that went into creating the foundation for a new nation.  We tend to take our freedoms for granted,

I am embarrassed to admit that these books are mostly written for youth, but in an interview with Hakim I heard her say that many, many parents come up to her and admit how much they have learned from the series.  

The interview with her is interesting because of her approach to writing the books and her ideas about how inadequately we teach history (and literature) in schools.  Hakim certainly had experts in the field review her content, but she also paid children to review them as well.  She gave them a simple code, like, "Write B if it is boring; C if it is clear" and so forth. She provides lots of historical stories and facts that make you feel as though you are right there, in the room, for important signings.

When our youngest daughter was little, she and I went on a trip to Pennsylvania to meet up with a friend.  We got to see some of those historic places, which really makes you feel like you are stepping back in time.

Hakim's philosophy is that it wouldn't hurt for us to move away from teachers needing to know everything.  She emphasizes the benefits of students and teachers learning together, probing details, asking thoughtful questions, pondering ideas and even enjoying some historical surprises.

I'm not suggesting a blind-leading-the-blind approach, of course not, but teachers are humans, not machines, and their curiosity is a good thing to model to students, giving them a sound example of the process of learning.

If you take this idea and transfer it to our own growth in faith, you begin to see that we can be sound disciples of Jesus without necessarily knowing everything there is to know about our faith.  Exploring the depths with each other can strengthen us as we journey together.

I would encourage you to spend time in faith conversations. Let your curiosity lead you closer to our loving God, in whom we have the greatest freedom of all.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective