Jesus and My Mom

Something was said, I don't exactly remember what, that led me to this thought on Good Friday . . .

There are times when I desperately miss my mom, who died almost three years ago.  I want to talk to her.  I have things to tell her.  I want to hear her voice and hug her.  This ache comes without my solicitation.  

So on Good Friday, I wondered, "Why don't I have this same sense of sadness when it comes to Jesus' death?"

Did our saints long for him like I long for my mom? Shouldn't I?

These questions flooded my head.  I can only think that such a longing must begin with an intimate, personal relationship that is grounded in love.

I think the difficulty for us is that we are sensate human beings.  We process everything through our senses.  My mom, for instance, was visible to me every day of my life, a physical presence whom I could hug, whereas I cannot reach out and hug Jesus.

But let me back up just a bit.  We can have a personal relationship with Jesus, and one such relationship would definitely be grounded in love.  So what's the problem?  Why are we often stuck when it comes to being close to Jesus?

Here's what I discovered during Lent.  The more I make time for him, the closer we are, the more present he seems. My participation in this relationship is necessary.  The habits I develop grow our relationship, by his grace.

For instance, the more time I spend in prayer, the more time I have in solitude before the blessed sacrament, the more I go through my daily interactions using "eyes of faith," the stronger our relationship becomes.

Of course, the reality is, we can see and touch (and consume) the body of Jesus in the Holy Eucharist at every single Mass we attend.  He is there, body, blood, soul and divinity, truly, physically present to us.

But I think if we are able to move beyond a base belief in this reality (which has been revealed by God - not something man just made up), to a fully personal, well-developed, loving relationship with him, we need to be "all in." 
Our lives need to be lived for him.  Our words and actions need to reflect our love for him.  Our kindness to others, our practiced selflessness, our gratitude, even our awareness of our very existence, all come from our relationship with him.

If our love for Jesus is to be heightened, all of this comes into play.

I hope you have had a blessed Holy Week and that you have made your own discoveries about your relationship with Jesus.  Now that we are into the highest holy days of the year, I pray that you will hold fast to the hope that comes through the resurrection. 

And may God bless all of those who are coming into the Church tonight at the Easter Vigil.  May their lives, and ours, be transformed by his love.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.blogspot.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective