Wagner, Servant of Faustus: What's He Doing in the Play?

John Norden's map of London, from 'Speculum Britanniae. The first parte. An historicall and chronographicall description of Middlesex.' (1593) via Wikimedia Commons, used w/o permission.

I'd like to say that my 'Marlowe's Faustus' series follows some grand scheme, marching down a well-organized path toward a profound conclusion. But it doesn't, so I won't.

I started re-reading Christopher Marlowe's "The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus," a little bit at a time, a year and a half ago. My idea was to polish and re-post a "Faustus" series I'd done back in 2012.

George Vertue's Procession portrait of Elizabeth I of England with the Knights of the Garter. (ca. 1601) from Sotheby's, via Wikimedia Commons, used w/o permission.That's not what happened....

More at A Catholic Citizen in America.

This week: an Elizabethan era entertainment district, attitudes and values. Faustian fascination. And Wagner, who may be like Palaestrio, Jeeves and Haroud Hazi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary