Feeding The Five Thousand

 A little story 

The Day of the Picnic


I remember the day well,
 everybody was talking about Him.
We could see Him with His friends, 
so some of us followed.
Others joined us on the way. 
What did we expect to see?
So many stories,
 I wanted to see for myself.
Three men in Bethany claimed 
 He'd cured them.
One, Joseph, he's my cousin,
 he was lame,
he'd never walked,  lame since birth.
But now, I saw him myself,
 both legs good, walks upright.
Feeding of the 5,000So yes, I followed Him to the mountain,
 I was at the front,
crept near His friends,
 heard Him ask Philip
where they might get food for the people.
I remember the blue sky, 
and way up high up, crows in silhouette,
the hot sun. 
 His look,  those eyes,
 those eyes loving all they fell on.
I looked around , five or six thousand 
standing there,  waiting. .
Is He mad, I thought.
Philip was saying it was  impossible,
 what could they do
with so many?
The other disciples asked around,
 did anyone have anything?
Shaking of heads, shrugging of shoulders, 
nothing doing.
But one disciple, Andrew,  found a boy
 who had  two barley loaves and five fish.
He brought him to the master.
I thought, what's he doing,
 why is he  bothering , 
what could be done with the boys 
 small offering?
I laughed to myself.
But He took the boy's gift and
 He thanked Him for it.
The boy smiled .
 He was happy to help.
Then the master prayed,
 He prayed over the meager pickings
And began to hand it out to the people,
And continued, and kept going and going...
He came to me, His eyes soft,
like He knew me. Weird.
He offered me some fish and a piece of bread.
But how? How was it I could have,
 we all could have this food?
How did it not run out?
Was it a trick, 
were my eyes deceiving me?
I took it, I didn't understand.
 I don't understand.
I looked around again.
Everyone was eating, licking their lips 
chatting together,
having a picnic.
And when we'd all finished
 the leftovers were collected,
twelve baskets full.
No waste.
I'll never forget that day.




If I bring the little I have to Jesus and offer it to Him, He will multiply my efforts.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective