Lazarus and he rich man


Lazarus and the rich man



 In the Gospel this Sunday Jesus, speaking to the Pharisees,  gives us the story of Lazarus and the rich man. 

What would these Pharisees be thinking listening to this story? Was it hard for them to take? After all it dispels an  idea prevalent at the time that  material prosperity in this life was a reward for being  morally upright and that adversity was a punishment. And it makes it very clear that the soul survives after death and therefore there  is retribution in the next life, that we have to answer to God for all our acts in this life.

The rich man didn't do anything bad to poor Lazarus. His sin was one of omission. He ignored him. Or did he , rather, not "see" him. 

What is Jesus telling us? 

Maybe we need to ask ourselves some questions. Am I ignoring those that are around me who are in need? Even if I am not well off, do I consider the dignity of every person I come into contact with and help them in some way? Am I quick to help the poor, by giving to charity or by getting involved where I can? Am I concerned with the plight of the poor in other parts of the world and feel called to do something about it, even if only raising awareness. 

We all die and go to the Lord with nothing. Let's do the best we can while we're here to look after those less fortunate, whether materially or spiritually.   


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective