I Wanted Out!

 

I had to laugh when I saw this picture online, but not for the reason you might think.  

I wish that's what the corn maze looked like that I took our son to when I was much younger.  We went on some group outing at a farm and we all went into the corn maze.  It was supposed to be fun. 

Yea, right.

Our son wasn't great on his feet, and neither was I, but what made this maze especially challenging was that rather than clearing a path to walk on, they just knocked down the corn stalks. (Is that how it is typically done?)

We had to maneuver our way on top of the fallen stalks, which slowed us down so much that we lost the group.  Or maybe they lost us?  Believe it or not, I had never been in a corn maze like that before and I had no idea where I was going.

Honestly, it was a bit scary for me as a young mother, with a son who was having so much difficulty on the stalks (as was I), and not a clue how to get out.  How far were we going to have to walk?  What if we just went in circles?  Where was everyone?  Where was the exit?

We just kept moving, assuming that there would be an exit and that we would not be wandering forever in the maze.  So, indeed, a maze like the one pictured is my kind of maze and age has nothing to do with it!

Actually, to me, the stalk in the picture seems like a sad little stalk, standing there all alone in a barren cornfield.  But, of course, there is a real difference between being alone and loneliness.

Apparently loneliness can be experienced in the middle of a crowd, but being alone can be an experience we might actually desire at times.  I think Jesus would get this because it seems like he frequently went off on his own to be alone.

Being alone in the quiet is important for us to do from time to time.  Some of us need it more frequently.  For me, I can always tell when I have not gotten enough quiet time because a) things tend to bother me more, or b) I get a little antsy.

I find prayer settles me.  It focuses me.  In the quiet, I remember that God did not put me in charge (which is always a joy to contemplate).  There is something about praying with scripture that brings great peace into my day.  It strengthens my relationship with God.

A common way to get into praying with scripture, if you struggle with it, or if you have not tried it, is to put yourself in the story.  I was thinking about this as I was meditating on the Passion of Jesus, specifically, the image of him carrying his cross when Simon was pressed into service to help him.

Scripture (Luke 23:26) tells us that Simon was just walking in from the country and was given the task of helping Jesus.  Now just imagine that you are Simon from Cyrene.  You find yourself walking behind our Lord, helping him.

Now consider the whole idea of you, helping Jesus carry his cross.  Then move yourself to 2022 and consider how you can help Jesus carry his cross today.  What would that look like? Surely, having walked directly behind him, you noticed how each step was painfully agonizing for him.  Imagine that you are the one helping him get to his crucifixion.

As you end your meditation, you will likely find yourself more grateful for all that Jesus did for you.  Having witnessed his walk and crucifixion personally, you will probably feel greater motivation in living your life with purpose.

Certainly, you will find yourself, along with St. Paul (Philippians 4:12) saying:

"I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need."  

Amazingly, as you finish your meditation, the circumstances in which you find yourself today seem a little more bearable.  You can handle it.  You'll be like St. Paul and take whatever comes your way.  And in doing so, you will be so grateful that Jesus, whom you still have the honor of helping carry his cross, showed you what is possible and is now, helping you.

Yes, praying with scripture is such a beautiful thing to do.  I hope you give it a try.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself so thankful, as you face that barren field, to realize you are not alone, and, you are still standing!

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

#jesus
#cross
#prayer

I just got an email that the tide is turning and more and more people are starting to reject Michigan's Proposal 3, the more they learn the facts around it.  Keep up the good work in sharing information with those who need to know.  We simply want people to be informed.

These are quotes that reflect the reality of Proposal 3's far-reaching impact.  Please vote NO:

-It would not simply restore what was in place when Roe v Wade was overturned.

-Proposal 3 supporters say that courts can put limits on this broad language. But that’s not true. A judge interpreting the Michigan Constitution must apply the words that the Constitution contains, and that means courts will be required to give effect to the broad phrase “every individual.” (You can find this in the first sentence, which opens the door for anyone, any age, including minors --"Establish new individual right to reproductive freedom")

-No matter how a voter feels about abortion, Michigan’s Constitution should not be amended to strip parents of their right to be consulted before a minor child makes the serious decision to take her baby’s life. 

If you don't want to take my word for it, watch some short videos from people who are in the trenches:  an OB-GYN Doctor, a lawyer and a Democratic politician, among others.  You can find them at this LINK





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective