Have You Done Enough?

I've decided that the best time to be sick is when there are back to back episodes of the West Wing running 24 hours a day.  I'm just sayin'.

Seriously, though, there really isn't any good time to be sick, but if you are rather holy, you are able to be conscientious enough to offer up your suffering for others, and if you are really saintly, you will be grateful for the opportunity to do so.

Sadly, I cannot hold claim to either of those positions when I am at my worst.  I wonder if the greater your suffering, the more valuable your offering.  For ordinary, every day stuff, I can offer it up, but I must say, dealing with real sickness mostly solicits from me a promise to live life with extreme gratitude when I get better.

But, naturally, that typically lasts a few days beyond the sickness.

And the truth is, whenever I feel rotten and whining becomes my default, I always come across someone who is not only sicker, but definitely more saintly than me. I am always amazed at what people have to deal with, and how well they deal with it.  For people facing death, for instance, it seems that often a special grace comes with it, and this special grace allows them the opportunity to be an amazing Christian witness--if they accept it.

Nobody wants to be in that position, of course, but recognizing that there is more to life than the here and now, is a gift in itself.

I've been told that most people are not afraid of death, it is the fear of the process of dying that actually scares them.  I think that is because none of us enjoys the idea of suffering, even though we know that when we do suffer, it makes us intimately connected to Jesus, who went through all that he went through, for us.

I must apologize for such a long absence from my blog, but it has taken me about two months to get over bronchitis--nearly there!  I guess that's why I was writing about suffering!  Anyway, I want to take this time to grab hold of the idea of living with extreme gratitude, because this holy season presents us with the opportunity to reflect on all of our blessings.

Even when things are tough, and you are afraid, broke, exhausted or sick, there is usually a light shining in somewhere that points out something we can be thankful for.  But honestly, we do not really need to look too hard, because as we come to celebrate the birth of Christ we know in our heart that God loves us so much that he sent his son to show us the way.  That act of love--the Incarnation (Jesus taking on human flesh)--is all we really need to bring us out of any darkness we may be going through.  Of course, that process may take time, so the virtue of patience is something else we can pray for.

As we move closer to Christmas, please remember that the nativity of Jesus was simple.  If you are a parent stressing out about what is happening around you, just take a deep breath and know that you have done enough, even though you may not feel like it.

Just love your child.  Spend time together if you can.  If you can't, just remind them how much you love them and wish you could be together.  Write a letter.  Make a phone call. Most of all, remember, it's not what you buy, but what you give--yourself and your love.  Find a way to express your love for them, like God has done for us, and it will make all the difference.  

Again, the nativity of Jesus didn't have twinkling lights and tons of gifts, but parents whose love was enough.  Start there.  Let go of the anxiety that is swirling around you and create simple, beautiful, fun memories.  Those really are the best.

Merry Christmas!

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

#sickness
#christmasgifts
#Jesus

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective