Nobody is Listening to You

As a Lay Dominican, one of my favorite things to do is give talks (contact me if your church/group is interested).  If and when I get the opportunity, I take it, because, well, it's just fun.  

Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of work, but it's work I don't mind doing.  It is a great feeling to sense the Holy Spirit coming over you, igniting the passion within to talk about Jesus.  I suppose that's because faith is such a wondrous thing and it is hard to resist the urge to share it.

Obviously, sometimes people go too far in the sharing department.  In-your-face Christians of any denomination who yell scripture at you or push, push, push against your thoughts and beliefs, are just irritating, even to a devout Catholic like myself.

Nobody is listening to you.  Nobody is going to be converted by you being obnoxious.  At least that's what I think.

We were in Chicago visiting "the bean" at Cloud Park (click the link to see what I'm talking about) and there was this guy standing nearby.  Apparently he had the idea that if he talked non-stop--and I mean literally non-stop--he would somehow attract people to Jesus.  Pretty much the opposite was true, except for me.  I stood there for a few minutes, curiously watching his approach to his idea of evangelization.  It appeared to be totally ineffective, unless his actual goal was to attract attention to himself

Anyway, if you have been turned off of religion because of one of these, loud, irritating people, please come back and let us help you recover your lost interest.

I remember going to see a past President (prior to his presidency) at a train depot.  Our kids were a little young, and there was a guy that had an abrasive pro-life placard that matched his personality.  He nearly found himself removed from his post because of how disruptive he had become. I've never been a fan of scaring little children, so we moved moved past him quickly, even though we are unwavering pro-life.

I'm betting he didn't make any conversions to life that day.

I'm not saying there is not a place for street ministry, but it shouldn't look like that.  Legitimate street ministry makes prayer or conversation available to interested passersby.  It shouldn't be argumentative; the street is not a courtroom.

So I repeat, if anyone has turned you off to having a relationship with God and a life of faith, please do not think they represent all Christians.  Make the call and reach out.  Find a sound, legitimate guide in your favorite church.  You will not regret it.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com   (Don't forget to subscribe!)

#prolife
#streetministry
#christians

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective