How is Your Perception?

 

How is your perception?

Mine has been off a little lately because I got new glasses. I have worn glasses since I was a kid and it never fails that new lenses and/or frames, throw off my depth perception for awhile. Until I get used to them, I can be seen cocking my head up and down in strange positions trying to figure out the best way to read with my trifocals. Sometimes I just give up and take off my glasses.

There's an analogy to politics here.

Lately, I have been cocking my head in multiple directions trying to follow what is happening with the "leadership" in congress. Every day it seems that something happens that causes me to shake my head in disbelief.

To me, what we are watching, is a sad display of the protection of position and the pursuit of power to the extent that it erases good judgment and reasoned thinking. It's really a sad thing to watch men and women giving up any iota of integrity in the service of self.

It really doesn't matter which side of the political aisle you are on (if either!), you can't help but become discouraged by the site of the terrible human behavior being presently displayed in our government.

Sometimes I wish I could just take off my glasses and not look, but that's just not an option. So what are we to do as we watch the slow dismantling of our government due to the human condition?

It's a good question, that I don't fully have an answer to, outside of making sure our own behavior is in check. It is no small thing for us to be personally responsible for our words and actions as we respond to what is happening around us.

We need to be contributors to solutions, not to division. In our own small circle of influence, are we acting toward peace? On social media, or in our social circles, are we working toward unity rather than inciting violence?

We know that our prayers make a difference, as do our voting practices. Maybe a letter-writing campaign to our congressman, where we can at least voice our well-thought ideas, can make a difference. You never know. Words are powerful.

However you choose to respond to what we are witnessing today, make sure the lens through which you look leads you to a sound perception founded in gospel values.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective