Scrolling in Church

I was sitting in Mass on a Sunday morning and glanced around and just happened to see a fellow parishioner scrolling through his phone during the homily. As human nature does, I started glancing over now and again to see how long he would keep it up.

To my sadness, it not only continued through the homily, but during the prayers of consecration and more.

Okay, I thought, he's probably not Catholic. He probably just brought his mom to Mass and doesn't really know what's going on. He got up a few times to go back into the gathering space to take/make a phone call, and then returned. For awhile, he stopped scrolling on his phone.

I admit to being surprised when he went up in the communion line, having already decided in my head that a Catholic surely wouldn't spend his time during Mass scrolling on a phone.

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt--which admittedly was not mine to give. Maybe there was a family emergency. We've all had those. But honestly, he sure looked like he was just scrolling. But who knows? Certainly not me.

I am one of those people who are adamant that we have no right to judge people who come to Mass. If we are spending our time watching each other instead of being prayerfully attentive, WE have a problem as well.

Whatever you might be thinking, I fully accept your criticism of my behavior. I am guilty, and I must say I wasn't particularly happy with myself.

This calls to mind the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 7, that seriously convicts me:

“Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?"

Good thing I have an appointment with my retina doctor this week. Maybe I'll have him look closely and remove the beam that's in there.

Be good to others this week . . .

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective