Starting Planning NOW!

 

Please subscribe to my blog using the box to the right


On Sunday mornings, one of us goes out to get the newspaper. I love doing it because in the early morning it is so still. The weather is crisp and there is barely a sound. The peacefulness reminds me of our camping days.

Things have changed a lot over the years, when it comes to camping and me. We stopped camping many years ago when we outgrew our pop-up trailer, but honestly, the campgrounds got too noisy for me anyway. I always say, my backyard is quieter, and oh how I love the quiet.

I do love visiting family when they are camping, though. I love hanging out for an evening, as we roast s'mores and have great conversation.

I was thinking about these good times as we head into the holidays. I overheard a lady the other day on her phone (nothing is private anymore) talking about Thanksgiving and how she just wanted a normal, nice gathering.

I think that's what everyone wants, but unfortunately it isn't what everyone gets. If the holidays bring you stress, why not start right now praying about them. Ask God to give you freedom from anxiety and worries, and ask him for patience as you need to overlook the faults and failings of others.

Begin now preparing for good times, by preparing yourself to be loving and kind. Start practicing by changing yourself. Remind yourself that loving others is your primary responsibility as a Christian and meditate on the love Jesus shows us.

As you make your plans, make plans that are doable. Maybe you visit instead of host, so you can leave when you need to. Pray that you won't really care that the turkey is overdone, that the cranberries aren't in sauce form, that the whip topping for the pumpkin pie was forgotten, that the stuffing isn't the way you like it, or that you are always the one people place burdens or expectations on.

Let it all go, for none of these things are as important as the love we are supposed to show others. Yes, you may find someone's sarcasm or little digs irritating, but just let them go.

Love radically, even in the face of insult and disappointment. Focus where you need to, not where it doesn't really matter.

But, like I said, you may have to start preparing yourself now. Pray for grace, and it will come.

I hope you have a Happy Halloween and blessed All Saints and All Souls days, November 1st and 2nd! Remember to pray for those who have gone before us, that God's mercy may be poured out on them.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective