Unscrambling Faith

 

I like to unscramble those JUMBO puzzles in the newspaper. Sometimes they sit on our dining room table for a few days as I glance at them from time-to-time. Some of them come super easy to me, but other words I just can't seem to unscramble.

If my husband can't unscramble them either, then I know we're in real trouble. He's good at all of that stuff--crossword puzzles, JUMBO, and on most days, even Sudoku. I, on the other hand, can mess up a crossword puzzle or Sudoku real quick.

Not surprisingly, I am often accused of just guessing, but I think I have a sixth sense about such things. I don't feel the need to prove that a word or a number fits in order to write it in, because a lot of times just knowing that it's right is enough for me.

When it comes to believing in God, some people do just know, but for those of you who need proof, it can be a little more challenging. I feel for you. Those of us whose faith is not predicated on iron-clad, scientific proof often start talking to you from a place of faith. That's not all that helpful. I get it.

So how do we communicate with you--or others--who either do not have any faith, or have drifted away on a sea of doubt?

Well, we begin by listening, rather than trying to persuade. You see, Christianity, when fully lived, may not be perfectly displayed, but should be expressed in such a way that it is attractive.

Here's what Pope Francis has said:

"'The last thing I should do is to try to convince an unbeliever. Never,' he said. 'The last thing I should do is speak. I should live my faith with consistency. And it will be my witness that will awaken the curiosity of the other who may then ask: ‘But why do you do this?’ And yes, then I can speak.'” ("Pope Francis Urges Christians Not to Try to Convert Nonbelievers", breitbart.com)

You see evangelization is two-fold: The Christian life well-lived is the first part of the equation (which does include our words and actions), and the open-minded heart of the non-believer is the second. When these two parts meet each other, it's a beautiful thing.

Let's work together and get this right so that one day all of God's children will accept and love each other as God intended.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com
 
Click "Follow/like" to receive all of my posts on Facebook:  
https://www.facebook.com/reflectionsinfaith/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective