Who Needs Church? We do!

 

 
"While I'm Waiting" by John Waller came up on my music list the other day. I'm including the lyrics at the bottom of this post because I think they reflect the way so many people feel.

I was reading an article by CBN's Chris Carpenter about John Waller and learned that this song became popular from the movie "Fireproof" and originated out of Waller's personal experience while struggling to grow his musical career. Interestingly, Waller had given up on having a music career and began writing songs for his church.

Here's what I thought was interesting. Waller doesn't call his music "worship" music, but "declaration" music. Waller told Carpenter:

"I classify myself as a declaration artist because the difference between vertical worship and declaration is that declaration is just taking a truth from the Word of God, putting it in a nutshell . . . “While I’m Waiting” is very much a declaration song. It’s not like, ‘Hey, that’s a John Waller song.’ Instead, people say, ‘Hey, that’s my song.’ You know what I mean? That’s the song I am declaring over my life. Yes, I’m waiting on you Lord, but I am going to serve you while I am waiting. I am going to worship while I am waiting. That is empowering."

We need to be people of worship, but this idea of declaring your life for God, your dependence on him, your trust in him, is also essential.

If you know someone who believes in God but has not yet managed to embrace organized religion, or, say, going to Church, perhaps if they "declare" their life for God, that would be a good start. It might be a first step and you would be meeting them where they are.

Being a part of a community is in line with what Jesus taught his Apostles and other followers. For those today who believe in Jesus, community shouldn't be something that is selectively dismissed.

And those who believe in God, the Father, Creator of Heaven and Earth, but do not believe in his revelation that Jesus is his Son, might be helped by a conversation steeped in logic, reason and theology, for how does one separate the Father from the Son, with whom he is united as one?

It is easy to see the faults of organized religion, especially when we focus on the sins of the people in its leadership. But the Church is more than sinful--or as many say hypocritical--people.

When we look at the Catholic Church, we accept revelation that Christ is the head of this body. We accept that the Church has a mission to bring God's message to the world, and that mission was given by Christ himself.

We also must accept that sinful--yes, even hypocritical people--can stand in the pure way of God--but that doesn't mean that the foundation God has laid down on the rock of Peter is not sound. Jesus came so sin and death could be overcome.

But we arrive at that awareness slowly, sometimes, and it may begin with knowing there is a Creator, or communing with nature, or sensing God's presence in beauty. Hopefully, though, the journey will continue to its natural end--which is actually a beginning--discovering God also in community, in church, and in the Eucharistic Jesus.

Keep going if your faith has been awakened, so you get to enjoy the fullness of God himself.

I hope you find the lyrics (below) thought-provoking, if you are waiting on God. I encourage you to share this post with anyone you think might find it encouraging.

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

I like the determination to serve while we are waiting (not always an easy thing to do.)

While I'm Waiting
Song by John Waller

I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You Lord
And I am hopeful, I'm waiting on You Lord
Though it is painful, but patiently I will wait

And I will move ahead bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I'm waiting I will serve You
While I'm waiting I will worship
While I'm waiting I will not faint
I'll be running the race even while I wait

I'm waiting, I'm waiting on You Lord
And I am peaceful, I'm waiting on You Lord
Though it's not easy no, but faithfully I will wait
Yes, I will wait

And I will move ahead bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I'm waiting I will serve You
While I'm waiting I will worship
While I'm waiting I will not faint
I'll be running the race even while I wait

I will move ahead bold and confident
I'll be taking every step in obedience, yeah

While I'm waiting I will serve You
While I'm waiting I will worship
While I'm waiting I will not faint

And I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You Lord

I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective