Good for the world

 


Many, many years ago my husband and I "discovered" a Scriptorium in Grand Haven, Michigan, kind of tucked away in an unassuming spot. Yesterday, I pulled out a "bulletin" from our visit that I had put aside because of the wonderful articles in it.

Here's a bit of trivia . . . among the Van Kampen Collection at the Scriptorium was the "first Bible printed in America." Interestingly, that first Bible was printed in Algonquin, not English.

I would encourage you to look up the history of the Eliot Bible online; it's fascinating. The collection, which had a variety of many amazing artifacts, is no longer housed where we saw it, nor available to the public, as far as I can tell.

The article offers a quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne in tribute to John Eliot, since it was Eliot who worked so hard to see that the Algonquins had a bible translated in their language.

Even though, according to the article, Hawthorne was not a fan of the Puritans, he wrote of Eliot:

"It is good for the world that such a man has lived."

Now whether or not you agree with Hawthorne, or the need for such a bible, it is a great quote.

I mean, who might you know that this could be said about?

Janet Cassidy
janetcassidy.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective